This vacation has turned out a bit different than we had expected or what we usually experience. We’ve switched up some of our usual preferences and I’d like to hear from you where yours fall.
Do you prefer:
- Hotels, couch-surfing, or something in-between like hostels or AirBnB?
- Driving or flying?
- Cabs or public transportation?
- Eating out or brown-bagging?
- The cheapest admission or the deluxe package?
- A package deal or a-la-carte?
- Overdressing or underdressing?
Here are my answers, largely influenced by our experiences in the last few days:
- Couch-surfing – I like the additional time with friends and the amenities of being in a home! If that’s not an option, in the past we’ve always gotten hotels, but this trip for the first time we stayed in a hostel, which went pretty well.
- Depends on the distance – within 14 hrs (new radius!), we drive. I don’t mind either; they have different advantages and disadvantages.
- Public transportation. We took a cab that we paid for ourselves for the first time ever in my life. It was totally fine, but as I grew up in the DC area I have a love for subways.
- Brown-bagging it. Whether it’s to work or on vacation, I prefer to eat food I prepare myself, or at least not eat out multiple times per day.
- The cheapest admission. We paid for some deluxe admissions to museums and attractions on this trip for the first time and I don’t think any of them were worth it.
- A package deal. We’ve been on two cruises and loved them – minimal decision-making! On this trip we decided our activities day-by-day but at the end realized we would have saved money by getting a City Pass.
- Overdressing. In my everyday life I have a jeans-and-T-shirt uniform so if an occasion calls for dressing up at all I like to hit the right range or err on the “over” side. The wedding we attended this weekend was black tie so Kyle wore a tuxedo (with a vest and everything!) and I wore a floor-length evening gown. We were probably the highest-dressed (but in my opinion, appropriately) couple of our age group present.
What are your preferences? How do you feel when you go against them?
Filed under: choices